Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Bat and Viral Marketing Campaign


This past Monday marketers for Warner Bros and The Dark Knight Rises unleashed a viral scavenger hunt around the world.  On thedarkknightrises.com there was an animated Gotham City Police file that discussed the search for the vigilante known as “The Batman” the file had a list of locations of bat graffiti.  If you saw this graffiti you were supposed to photographic the evidence and  tweet #tdkr07202012 or email tdkr07202012@gothampolicedepartment.com.  If you found graffiti and tweeted or emailed Warner Bros would unlock a frame from the new The Dark Knight Rises trailer.

The coolest aspect of this was one of  the addresses was within a mile of my house so since I’m a marketer, a Batman fan, social media student and just a general nerd about things like this I decided to investigate. 


I arrived at and starting searching the Troy location, but I found nothing. No bat graffiti, no nothing.  Of course it was raining all day so the rain probably washed away whatever I looking for.  Darn.  Discouraged and wet, I decided to search #tdr07202012 on Twitter to see what I was supposed to find.  To my surprise many people found bat graffiti from all over the world.






Pretty cool viral campaign.  Well my fellow geeks didn’t let me down and the new The Dark Rises trailer was released early Tuesday morning 4 days before it was supposed to premier in front of this Friday's release of The Avengers.

Brace yourself for some Batman awesomeness!!!


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this kind of viral marketing. It is just so cool. I remember before the Dark Knight, when they secretly distributed dollar bills with the Joker's makeup drawn on them at the San Diego Comic Con. They also had a web site listed which had clues for a scavenger hunt around the convention and city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Jeff. I love the viral marketing that Warner Bros is doing for these movies. I heard about the dollar bills with the Joker makeup on them. I glad for this campaign they included more people from around the world.

    ReplyDelete